28/10/2013

Studio Brief 3 - A Day in the Life

Berenice Abbott's Science Photography

Berenice Abbott's photography of physics experiments has really inspired me with the repetition of shape and line that really communicates a sense of balance, which is ties in with my ideas about thought processes. There is an 'out of this world' eerie aesthetic to them and the shapes fit there formats perfectly, for example the sideways pendulum which looks great stretching from one end to the other - if it were placed within any other format I don't think this photograph would be nearly as effective.






I have been looking at working on top of paint and using bolder marks with ink and cut paper to create much more spontaneous and dynamic drawings. This style of working seems to be much better suited to my subject matter. I definitely want to incorporate this way of working and the overall aesthetic in my final three illustrations. The subject matter and final decisions as to what words and drawings to include will come to me as I create the finished pieces of work. I have found that my style of working focuses on merging development work and finished work into one thing. I choose to work on one piece and constantly change it by going over mistakes or sticking something else on top and this image eventually becomes the final piece with all the process leading up to it acting as the developmental work which adds to the aesthetic I am after. For example the test sheet above could easily become a final piece if I were to continuously work on it. I think this is the reason I am not a fan of thumb nailing ideas which are detached from the finished illustrations, I find it difficult to focus my energy on creating developmental work that is not intended to 'look nice' but to serve a purpose for things like idea generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment