25/10/2013

Studio Brief 3 - A Day in the Life - Ditch the smartphone to optimise your bandwidth

Blue/Yellow/Red

After reading through the article more fully and getting a better understanding of what it is trying to say I am looking to illustrate our modern world where technology and humans coexist. It was mentioned by someone on my initial ideas sheet that technology has created a 'haze' of data constantly infiltrating our minds. The colour limitations could be used to show this haze percolating through towns and cities, for example yellow descending on blue.  

I have been looking at the three different formats required and how to work inside them without compromising my illustrations. I initially wanted to create an image that spread across all three formats to make up one final illustration, but they would then be dependent on each other in order to communicate. I need to focus on having similar design language between all three that unifies them as a series even though each image will be different.


  • Buildings featuring technological elements - dial pads - subtle references throughout
  • The stretching and expansion of the brain - capacity - overloaded - preoccupied
  • Hurdles - jumping over oncoming obstacles represented by emails/tweets etc?
  • Need to think more about format and its relation to imagery - don't over complicate
  • I really want to create one image across all three formats - can't do this - need to try and think of different concepts that can sit alongside each other
  • Pop culture - digital age - logos - twitter and hashtags #
  • A bus that everyone has jumped on to - can't get off - endless feed/road of information
  • I need to think about varying my use of media - do I want neat and clean? - could be chaotic and messy like the brain



Concept Crit

My crit group seemed to like my initial drawings using water colour pencils, and I feel as if I have explained a good range of ideas so far. However I think I may have stuck to one type of media for too long, since I was caught up in generating ideas. The group suggested I look into collage and changing up my drawing tools. This will hopefully allow for some ideas to grow as I reinterpret them through new ways of working, which was noted on one of my feedback sheets. I need to go back and try to focus on a few of my ideas for now, and possibly look at incorporating more than one of serial tasking drawings into one idea. I am unsure about how much I should look into collaging my work, since I have done a lot of that before and feel like I need to look into something new like painting for example.






No comments:

Post a Comment