23/10/2013

Studio Brief 3 - A Day in the Life

Brief

For my third studio brief I have been given this article http://www.wired.co.uk/magazine/archive/2013/10/ideas-bank/ditch-the-smartphone-to-optimise-your-bandwidth and am required to visually communicate my response with three illustrations at 200mm x 200mm, 105mm x 200mm and 290mm x 105mm. I am only allowed to use two colours plus stock (the paper) and all three of the illustrations must work as a set or series and be visually consistent.

The article talks about time management and how people's constant 'serial tasking' affects their productivity. The main themes that stand out to me are procrastination, balance and distraction. It seems as though we as a society are always tied to our mobile phones and the constant flow of notifications, emails and messages are affecting even simple things like dinner with friends. It almost reminds me of a bionic world where humans and technology have seamlessly integrated to form new generations of people who will grow up with this being the norm. Below I have found some images I feel communicate and sum up this idea of constant distraction.






Idea Generation 21/10/2013



I found that this exercise helped me in linking metaphoric and literal symbols, and thinking of ideas for another person's set of words got me to think more outside of the box as it was not my own project to worry about. I'm not sure if this is a bad or a good thing, since a lot of people made really loose abstract connections that could prove to be difficult to draw ideas from. The contributions made to my sheet are very logical and literal, I feel that I need to approach my illustrations in this way otherwise the message may become lost in abstract translation and too 'out there' concepts. It will be a challenge to still be visually creative with a more direct subject matter, which is something I'm not used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment