21/03/2014

Final Postcards

I am really pleased with my final postcards and have learnt a lot about working with Illustrator during the process, my compositional skills have also benefitted from the flexibility of layers and repetition. The London bus was based on the NYC cab and the buildings have also borrowed from each other. the limited colour palette and soft focus created by grain really brings the pictures to life. 

During the final crit it was mentioned that I have managed to retain my own visual aesthetic and the work is recognisable as mine. This is interesting to me since I initially set out to reinvent my way of working with new tools. I retrospect think it may the tone of voice and the way in which I have combined layered shapes which which came about through play - something I do away from the computer anyway.

Overall the group decided that my work goes together as a set/series but the Cairo postcard is the least successful of the three. I was too abstract in my use of repetition and the over did the simplistic visuals. I maybe could have included something secondary to them, like a tourist bus or camels to give the pyramids context.



No comments:

Post a Comment