10/04/2014

Persons of Note - Scanned Textures - Digital Collage

I have been scanning in different textures and newspapers to digitally collage with in Photoshop, I have used a really high dpi for the newsprint so that I am able to see the halftone dots which give my work a more handmade aesthetic. I have tried to find surfaces with a lot of contrast between light and dark, with uneven tones and marks to stop my work looking flat and sterile.



I am trying out the lasso tool to cut out areas of light and shade of the newsprint, which is built up gradually in layers to create Gandhi's face. I am really pleased with how my work is progressing, I am happy with the combination of analog and digital and the benefits layers which is allowing me to continuously rearrange. 


Using one a scan of my own drawing to guide me with the lasso tool, just taking the shapes



Unsure about which textures to use and the blue hue that I am using - some too dark and others have too much texture - want shadows and light and dark - will need to alter the brightness of other layers to face



Constrasting textures - denim diagonal lines work nicely with more subtle sky, the eye brows and moustache have been created using the hair photograph from the newspaper for added texture



Could have the inside of the eye a contrasting yellow hue? Light? Unsure about how this looks on screen, I have thought about using photographs of Gandhi throughout his lifetime inside the lenses of the glasses, but they overally effect is too digitial looking which is something I want to steer a way from. It is quite difficult trying to retain the rough and handmade aesthetic I am used to, I am purposely being messy in the way I lasso areas of paper so they almost appear to be cut with scissors. I don't want to many perfect edges.



I am desaturating and changing the levels of the scanned paper then tinting it with this colour blue to create a contrasting monochromatic image, the different values are working well with the changes in texture and light and dark - maybe the background could be lighter? I am unsure just how much to blend the foreground and background together? I want a full image though...

No comments:

Post a Comment